Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sacramental Church Attendance

I have to confess.  I just realized it, really.  And it was a strange realization for someone who grew up Baptist (and remains in the Anabaptist tradition).

 

You see, as a Baptist, we never had “sacraments.”  We had two practices – baptism and the Lord’s Supper – that we called “ordinances.”  We stayed as far as we could from sacramental theology.  I remember learning how some parts of the church have historically believed that practices like the Lord’s Supper have grace-giving power in the act of performing the practice itself.  Even if someone didn’t have a great deal of faith, simply partaking of the Lord’s Supper was a means of grace, because the sacrament conveyed grace ex opere operato.  Now, that’s about as far removed as you can get from what I learned in my Baptist upbringing, and it didn’t seem to align with what I read in Scripture, either.

 

So – you can imagine my surprise when I realized that I am a closet sacramentalist.  Almost subconsciously, I believe that there is a “means of grace” I should participate in regularly:  going to a church service on Sunday mornings.  And here’s the big deal:  I subconsciously think that I will receive some spiritual benefit simply by showing up.  I have this underlying notion that simply getting up on time, making the effort to get me and my family ready, and making the journey to the church service will somehow convey some spiritual blessing.  I don’t have to have a heart ready to worship or fellowship with God’s people.  I don’t have to pay attention to the sermon or agree with the prayers.  I’m being a good Christian simply by showing up, and the spiritual blessing comes ex opere operato.

 

Whoops.  I don’t really believe that, do I?

 

Of course this whole idea is mistaken, misguided, wrong.  I do believe that it’s important to fellowship regularly with God’s people, and to set aside time for corporate learning and worship.  But that’s just it:  all those things – fellowship, worship, learning – are active, participatory practices.  I cannot expect to receive any spiritual blessing simply by getting my rear end in the pew.  I’m a member of Christ’s Body, not a passive consumer.  Simply saying “get me to the church on time” is not near enough.  When we gather with God’s people, it is an active, participatory commitment.

 

Church attendance isn’t a sacrament.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment